Complete Guide to a buying Dictation Machine.
Question: What is a dictation Machine?
Consumer user versus professional user of a dictation machine.
There is a simple test to figure out which type of machine you will need. The first question, do you need to rewind. If you need to rewind and correct mistakes you are a professional user. Congratulations. The price range is going to be $300 to $500 depending on the software.
2 Types of Dictation machine
Lawyers Dictation Machine
Dictation Transcription Machine
- rofessional Lawyers Dictation Machine - Uses a slide control to Insert, Append & Overwrite.
- Advanced Recording Features means you can chose to organize your recordings.
- Voice activated recording (VCVA) Stop and starts the recorder when sound it heard.
- Microphone sensitivity: 3 Levels (High/Middle/Low)(Conference Mode = Auto)
- Insert, Overwrite, Append, Partially erase: Only with DSS Pro & DSS (Overwrite & Append: also WAV)
- Index Marks Per File: 32 (DSS Pro/WAV/MP3), 16 (DSS) - Marks spots of the recording to skip back.
- DS2 is a higher quality files than a .dss created just for Dragon voice recognition protocol.
- Level meter, VCVA indicator - Show the recording levels on your dictation machine
- Folders: Clients (name changeable)
- Hands-free dictation - record on your dictation machine without touching it physically.
- 256 bit file encryption with DSS Pro audio codec - locks you files from being heard by unauthorized persons
- stand-alone transcription machine - Plug a foot pedal directly into your dictation machine without a computer.
- Full-duplex recording with headphones
- Speed: Slow/Normal/Fast
- Volume level: Adjustable from 0 to 30
- Cue / Review
- Recording Formats DSS / DSS Pro / WAV / MP3
- DSS Audio File. A . dss (Digital Speech Standard) file is a special proprietary audio file format. This format used by Olympus and Philips dictation machines.
- Professional Speech Processing Software for dictation machine to manage audio files.
- Author IDs: a dictation machine can be shared by different users.
- Work-types: Organized dictation based on work types.
- Priority: High/Normal make certain dictation files priority to be transcribed.
- Verbal comments (up to 32 per file), Text editor, Pending, File lock. Speech recognition for certain buttons on your dictation machine.
- Programmable buttons - Change the way the top 3 button work to fit you dictating needs.